The chicken hot dog is the super-popular café snack loved by kids to adults. My homemade version of chicken hot dog is juicy and meaty to ultimate perfection!
Tell me who won’t like this stunning chicken hot dog! I mean, just look at the picture! Isn’t it looking absolutely tempting? I am again hungry while writing down this post and how I wish I could have devoured this scrumptious chicken hot dog right now!
No, I have not used the store-bought chicken sausage to make my ‘home-made’ chicken hot dog. That’s not fun enough for a crazy cook like me! The fun is in making your own hot dog filling, isn’t it?
I can make it as I desire, shape it the way I like, I can add my favorite seasonings to make my own signature flavor of chicken hot dog, right? Also, I will have the freedom of using anything less or more as I like it and that’s a large window of possibilities! And that’s what I call real fun!
The weather in my city is quite cool these days. Monsoon is in full swing and sudden downpour is mostly keeping us inside. I don’t mind it until I have good company and a steaming cup of tea. I am all for tea any time of the day.
Thankfully my hubby, who is incidentally my ‘good company’ too, has the similar affinity towards this cup of goodness. So, our trio – me, him & our steaming tea – is happy to spend some quality time together while the monsoon is at work outside!
And, we want to take our tea session an extra mile ahead, we make gorgeous snacks like this chicken hot dog! Who will miss going out now? I won’t for sure and I am sure if you make this yummy chicken hot dog at home, you or your friends won’t love to leave home too! Take it from me!
Monsoon here is quite long and we have to deal with it for couple of more months. Rains do not bother me much unless I don’t get good food at home. It was a rainy day like this when I made this chicken hot dog to cheer us up on a gloomy day in.
Though I could deal with rain and even enjoy it sometimes with my hot beverage, I don’t like gloomy days at all and I need to do something exciting to keep myself moving. Else I will just snug under a blanket and do nothing, then invariably feel bad about it later.
So, essentially this chicken hot dog is the brainchild of mine and the thunderstorm. Without thunderstorm the idea of this super juicy and delicious chicken hot dog wouldn’t have sparked in my brain and wouldn’t have ever materialized.
Thankfully, this popular snack comes together pretty quickly and can make a great lunch on the go. You can even wrap-up the chicken hot dog filling in a flour tortilla with some crispy green leaves and onion rings, spread your favorite dip like mayo or spicy salsa and roll up!
Your favorite street food has just got a makeover and you will totally fall for it! I had kept things simple in my chicken hot dog. I had just used some onions and some shredded purple cabbage soaked in vinegar for few minutes to soften them a little to my liking.
I loved the cabbage due to its crunch and onion adds up a sweet pungency which complements the chicken perfectly. You can try making hot dog with lamb mince too instead of chicken mince and it will be equally delish! For now, enjoy this delightful chicken hot dog!
- Hot dog buns – 3
- Chicken breast – 2 medium (approximately 300 gms)
- Garlic – 7 to 8 cloves
- Paprika powder – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1, small, halved
- Iceberg lettuce – ½ cup, roughly torn
- Purple/red cabbage, shredded – ½ cup, keep them soaked in vinegar for 10 to 15 minutes
- Egg – 1
- All-purpose flour – ½ cup
- Cornflour – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mustard sauce – as required
- Softened butter – as required
- Roughly chop the chicken breast and put them into the food processor with the chopping blade. Add the garlic cloves, onion and paprika powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Process this mixture till the chicken breasts turn into mince and all ingredients are incorporated well creating a homogeneous mixture. Take it out in a bowl.
- Crack and whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Mix the all-purpose flour and cornflour in a dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a shallow non-stick frying pan.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of chicken mince mixture and shape it into a cylinder of about 2 & ½ inches. Then lightly press it lengthwise to get a half of an inch of thickness. This is your hot dog filling.
- Dip this chicken hot dog into the beaten egg. Take out and place on the flour mixture and coat all sides thoroughly.
- Now carefully place it on the hot pan for frying. Fry it for 5 to 7 minutes each side until it turns golden brown. Take them out and put on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Make approximately 6 hot dogs out of this chicken mince mixture.
- Now take each hot dog bun at a time and cut it into half lengthwise. Apply softened butter on the cut side of both the pieces. Toast the buns on a hot pan until brown and crispy.
- Place the bottom half of the bun on your cutting board. Arrange some torn lettuce leaves and shredded cabbage on it. Place 2 chicken hot dog filling. Spread some mustard sauce as per your liking. Cover the chicken hot dog with the top half of the bun.
- Enjoy your cafe style chicken hot dog with some ketchup and potato chips!