The chicken hot-dog is the super-popular café snack loved by kids to adults. My homemade version is juicy and meaty to ultimate perfection!
Tell me who won’t like this! I mean, just look at the picture! Isn’t it looking absolutely tempting? I am again hungry while writing down this post and how I wish I could have devoured this right now!
No, I have not used the store-bought chicken sausage to make my ‘home-made’ hot dog. That’s not fun enough! The fun is in making your own hot dog filling, isn’t it? You can make it as you desire, you can add your favorite seasoning and use less or more as you like it, right?
The weather in my city is quite cool these days. Monsoon is in full swing and sudden downpour is mostly keeping us inside. I don’t mind it until I have good company and a steaming cup of tea.
I am all for tea any time of the day. Thankfully my hubby, who is incidentally my ‘good company’ too, has the similar affinity towards this cup of goodness. So our trio is happy to spend some quality time together while the monsoon is at work outside!
It was a rainy day like this when I made these hot dogs to cheer us up on a gloomy day in. Though I could deal with rain, I hate gloomy days so very much that I need to do something to keep myself moving. Else I will just snug under a blanket and do nothing and feel bad about it later.
This comes together pretty quickly and can make a great lunch on the go. You can even wrap-up the hot dog filling in a flour tortilla with some crispy green leafs and onion rings, spread your favorite sauce and roll up! Your favorite street food has just got a makeover and you will totally fall for it!
I had kept things simple in mine. I had just used some onions and some shredded purple cabbage soaked in vinegar for few minutes. I loved the cabbage due to its crunch and onion adds up a pungency which complements the chicken perfectly.
You can try it with lamb mince too instead of chicken mince. Just give it a try and you won’t regret. Trust me!
- Hot dog buns – 3
- Chicken breast – 2 medium (approximately 300 gms)
- Garlic – 7 to 8 cloves
- Paprika powder – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1, small, halved
- Iceberg lettuce – ½ cup, roughly torn
- Purple/red cabbage, shredded – ½ cup, keep them soaked in vinegar for 10 to 15 minutes
- Egg – 1
- All-purpose flour – ½ cup
- Cornflour – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mustard sauce – as required
- Softened butter – as required
- Roughly chop the chicken breast and put them into the food processor with the chopping blade. Add the garlic cloves, onion and paprika powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Process this mixture till the chicken breasts turn into mince and all ingredients are incorporated well creating a homogeneous mixture. Take it out in a bowl.
- Crack and whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Mix the all-purpose flour and cornflour in a dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a shallow non-stick frying pan.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of chicken mince mixture and shape it into a cylinder of about 2 & ½ inches. Then lightly press it lengthwise to get a half of an inch of thickness. This is your hot dog filling.
- Dip this chicken hot dog into the beaten egg. Take out and place on the flour mixture and coat all sides thoroughly.
- Now carefully place it on the hot pan for frying. Fry it for 5 to 7 minutes each side until it turns golden brown. Take them out and put on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Make approximately 6 hot dogs out of this chicken mince mixture.
- Now take each hot dog bun at a time and cut it into half lengthwise. Apply softened butter on the cut side of both the pieces. Toast the buns on a hot pan until brown and crispy.
- Place the bottom half of the bun on your cutting board. Arrange some torn lettuce leaves and shredded cabbage on it. Place 2 chicken hot dog filling. Spread some mustard sauce as per your liking. Cover the hot dog with the top half of the bun.
- Enjoy with some ketchup and potato chips!