This one pot chicken Fajita pasta is the impeccable fusion of Tex-Mex and Italian flavors which ends up to something unbelievably mind-blowing!
One pot meals are saviors for us ladies! Don’t you feel so? I bet you do! Only because of these one pot meals we get to spend less hours in the kitchen and more with our loved ones; or have the privilege of some quality me-time. Today’s one pot chicken Fajita pasta is nothing short of a one pot wonder which beautifully brings together the Tex-Mex and Italian flavors; all with very minimal effort!
If you are new to chicken Fajita, let me give you some quick info about it. Fajita is a term in Tex-Mex cuisine usually referring to grilled meat served as a taco. Meat in the Fajita is strongly flavored with ground cumin and paprika. Use of assorted bell peppers is the significant characteristic of this dish. Well, I believe the pictures below will convey more than my words on Fajita! Take a look!
This version of chicken Fajita pasta is perfect for a weeknight meal. You will need to do some chopping at the beginning but that’s all the prep work you need to do. No need to cooking the pasta separately. Everything will cook together in the same pot along with the sauce. How wonderful is that! And beware of this addictive sauce by the way! The prominent flavors of cumin and paprika complement the cheesy sauce so exquisitely that I am sure it will make you crave for more!
I used the cubes of chicken breasts for this chicken Fajita recipe. If you wish you can use boneless cubes of chicken thighs to get more juicy chicken. For me, using boneless cubes of chicken thigh creates an additional burden. The bones of the chicken thighs remain stashed inside the freezer with the hope of being converted to chicken stock someday…; but it never happens! So chicken breasts work best for me in pastas! Thighs are best for the grills!
Chicken Fajita is a win-win recipe for me as I am deeply in love with all bell peppers – red, yellow and green. They are instant mood-booster for me! Chicken Fajita too loves all the bell peppers just as much as I do! I strongly suggest to use assorted bell peppers of all three colors while making this chicken Fajita to get the maximum visual appeal. I am sure you know that it indeed makes a difference!
One last tip before signing off! While making this one pot chicken Fajita pasta, use a large pot to ensure smooth stirring of pastas with other ingredients while mixing, without breaking them too much. You are of course not looking for a pasta mash!
That’s it! You can now proceed to make this yummy chicken Fajita pasta and bring in instant happiness to your friends and family!
- Rigatoni pasta (uncooked) – 250 gms (2 cups)
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast – 2 (about 400 gms)
- Green bell pepper – 1, small
- Red bell pepper – 1, small
- Yellow bell pepper – 1, small
- Onion – 1, large
- Garlic – 4 to 6 cloves, minced
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 3 cups
- Gouda cheese – 1 cup, grated (You can use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese)
- Olive or vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- Slice all the bell peppers into thin long strips – about 1 cm thick and 2 inch long. Slice the onions thinly. Slice chicken breast into thin strips of about 1 inch length.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the chicken. Sauté those until no pink is visible. Chicken may not be fully cooked at this point. Take them out and set aside.
- Now add the minced garlic, sliced bell peppers and onion and cooking until the onion is translucent about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Tip in the chicken to the pot along with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin stirring until evenly coated.
- Add the milk and let it come to boil. Then add the uncooked rigatoni, stirring constantly to prevent any pasta from sticking.
- Cook covered for about 10-15 minutes on low heat until pasta is cooked and the milk has reduced to a thick sauce that coats the pasta.
- Now add the cheese and mix lightly using a wooden spoon until melted. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve hot!