These crunchy delicious oatmeal hazelnut cookies will be your most trusted breakfast when you are pressed for time! These are so good that you will always love to be in hurry!
I am not an expert in making perfect cookies. Not yet! But I would love to be one some day! With that ambition in mind, I set out to bake some good looking and lip smacking cookies! Pardon me if I sound snob but I can’t help but admire this latest creation of mine – the oatmeal hazelnut cookies as they look very promising as if assuring me that I would really become an expert at cookie-making one day!
I had my share of cookie disaster in the past but I have learnt my lesson and have become very careful since then. But that could not stop me from trying more. I mean, disasters after all occur to teach us something new; not to stop doing things, right? Had I stopped, I could have never witnessed myself making such beautiful oatmeal hazelnut cookies!
I decided on these cute little things when I saw a jar of oatmeal was trying to hide at the back of my cupboards as if playing hide-n-seek with me. As I pulled it out, I remembered my husband asking for homemade cookies.
Exactly at that point the connection was established and I was all set to bake these oatmeal hazelnut cookies!
For me cookies take time. My oven is quite small to fit into my tiny kitchen. So I had to keep baking multiple times as I didn’t want to make a small batch. It may not sound very exciting but you know what? As soon as I was into the process, I just lost myself in it.
I must say that I am quite a freaked-out person insisting on doing everything on my own when I am in charge of my kitchen and love every bits and pieces of the whole course.
Baking was not a frequent affair in any Indian household but I feel that it’s gaining its place eventually. So I do not belong to those who grew up seeing their moms and grandmoms baking amazing goodies at home.
But I am totally sold out to baked stuffs! Be it cakes, cookies or savory meals; I love them all! And these goodies are most loved by my hubby and my mom who was visiting us at the right moment!
The oats I used in my recipe are the quick-cooking rolled oats which we have for breakfast (very rarely though!). The recipe I followed asked for the old fashioned oats (which are basically not rolled and quite thick); but for me it didn’t make a lot of difference.
These oatmeal hazelnut cookies were absolutely awesome and we all simply freaked out on them.
- Hazelnuts – 1 cup, toasted and chopped
- Unsalted butter – 170 gms (3/4 cup), room temperature
- Light brown sugar – 210 gm (1 cup), packed
- Egg – 1, large
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour – 105 gms (3/4 cup)
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Quick-cooking oats – 3 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat them in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture the creamed butter-sugar mixture and beat until well incorporated.
- Next add the oats and chopped nuts and using a spatula mix everything well to make a homogeneous mixture.
- To make the cookies, use ⅛ cup of batter to measure one cookie. I used the ⅛ measuring cup (or even an ice-cream scoop will do!) to ensure that all cookies are of same size and will bake evenly.
- Space the cookies about 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheet. Then flatten the cookies slightly with your fingers to make them about ½ inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 -15 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges but still soft and little wet in the center.
- Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheets before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy these wholesome cookies with a glass of milk for a fulfilling breakfast!