These crispy potato fritters of mine have a hidden twist in them and that is fresh basil leaves which add immense flavor in these crispy and crunchy potato fritters!
Potato fritters is nothing new. I mean, is there really anything new to talk about related to potato fritters? I don’t think so! Potato fritters are such over-eaten and over-loved snack that we just might stop thinking about it! And then at that very moment, when we add a twist to it, the same old potato fritters become something extravagant! That’s the case with my potato fritters with a twist – it has taken a make-over and have turned themselves into the very scrumptious basil potato fritters!
While I was working from home couple of days back and because I didn’t have to face the outrageous traffic and spend 2 hours behind the steering wheel, post my working hours I was contemplating to make some evening snack which I hadn’t tried before. It was during that very fortunate evening that these basil potato fritters came into existence and caught us completely off-guard with their deliciousness!
Potato fritters are one such snack which you can turn around very quickly. But as I told you that I wanted to try something new which I have not tasted before. So, the chef inside me got instigated and started to think something different and exotic and finally she drew my attention to the basil plants in our kitchen garden. Those fresh basil leaves which were ready to be harvested gave me the idea of these basil potato fritters and they became an instant favorite of mine and my dearest hub!
The burst of flavors from the fresh basil leaves was so evident from the very first bite you take on these potato fritters that you literally can’t stop yourself from eating it one after another. Honestly, I didn’t realize that the combination of potato and basil would complement each other so well. But don’t worry if you don’t have a basil plant at home; when you buy a pack of basil next time, buy some extra and try this hot and crispy basil potato fritters and you won’t regret, trust me!
- Potatoes – 2
- Carrots – 3, medium
- Sweet corn kernels – 1 cup
- Basil leaves – 2 cups, loosely packed
- Corn flour – 4 tbsp or more if required
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Boil the potatoes and carrots [I added carrots too to get a crunch as well as a bright color in my fritters!] till soft but crunchy. Drain all water from them and take in a large bowl.
- Mash the boiled potatoes and carrots and mix well. Steam the sweet corn, drain out the water and add it to the potato-carrot mixture.
- Chop the basil leaves. Add the cornflour and chopped basil to the mashed potato and mix well to get dough-like texture.
- Heat any flavorless oil like sunflower or canola in a deep frying wok. Take a spoonful of the mixture, give it a shape of a patty or any shape you like and tip it into the hot oil.
- Fry them on high heat since all the ingredients are already cooked. Take them out once they are golden brown and soak the excess oil on a tissue paper.
- Serve the hot & crispy potato fritters with tea and enjoy the warmth of winter!