The quintessential Thai green chicken curry from our favorite Thai cuisine is the right contender to follow suit after receiving all your love for my Thai yellow chicken curry and Thai red chicken curry!
My immense love for Thai food was not a secret ever and today’s recipe of Thai green chicken curry will prove it one more time! Thai food has become so close to my heart that I sometimes feel personally bonded to this culture.
Thai green chicken curry is another gem from this wonderfully fresh cuisine and with few right ingredients, you too can make the restaurant style Thai green chicken curry within the comfort of your home, trust me on this!
Thai food always screams of freshness and this Thai green curry is no exception whatsoever! My version of this Thai curry turned out to be more special thanks to our home-grown fresh Thai basil leaves!
But do not worry if you don’t have a kitchen garden at home! You can still whip up a lip-smacking Thai green chicken curry without much of a fuss!
You can try to get your hands on the Thai basil leaves which are purple in color around the center of the leaves and the stems; but in case you can’t, it’s perfectly fine to leave it out.
A good quality Thai green curry paste will still work wonders and your Thai green chicken curry will blow everyone’s mind including yours!
This Thai curry is little on the spicier side as it contains Thai green chilies which not only lend the vibrant green color but also add the spicy kick to the curry paste.
Like any other Thai curry, this Thai green chicken curry also has a coconut milk based curry sauce. Sweetness of coconut milk balances the spicy kick of Thai green chilies and creates a mind-bogglingly beautiful combination of flavors which is only possible in Thai cuisine!
Even though my native cuisine is Indian which I have been brought up in and which is globally popular for its flavorful recipes, I still don’t shy away from admitting that Thai cuisine has all the potential to give a tough run to Indian cuisine!
Kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil leaves, fresh veggies of your choice – all these create an unmatched harmony with the creamy & coconuty green curry sauce making it an unforgettable gastronomic experience!
Thai green chicken curry is best served with white jasmine rice which is little sticky in nature but adds to the overall flavor of rice & curry which makes a wholesome meal.
Being Indian, we are pretty fond of rice & curry meals and no Thai curry ever fails to surprise us with all the layers of flavors it packs within itself!
If you are adventurous enough, you can try making the Thai green curry paste at home, but without few typical Thai ingredients, it won’t turn out to be as authentic as the store-bought curry paste.
Hence I haven’t yet got into that route of making my own Thai curry paste, but I’m sure it would be fun & exciting and eventually I may do that one day given my wild passion of making everything from scratch!
The addition of Thai green chicken curry completes the loop for a while, but there are many more Thai curries coming up your way, each one being better than the other and I guarantee that you will be spoilt for choices!
For now, make this Thai green chicken curry with your favorite veggies and make it a hearty meal for you and your family. I added bell peppers & zucchini in mine as they were handy at the time, plus I like zucchini in my Thai curries.
Some other great choice of veggies for this Thai green chicken curry would be baby corn, pak choi, bamboo shoots, sugar snap peas or even broccoli. Make this Thai curry over the weekend and let me know how it turned out! Enjoy!
- Chicken thighs – 500 gms, skinless & boneless
- Thai green curry paste – 50 gms / 3 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 & ¾ cup
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp (can be substituted with white sugar)
- Fish sauce – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Kaffir lime leaves – 4 to 5 (I used dry)
- Fresh Thai basil leaves – 1 cup, tightly packed, thinly sliced into juliennes (Please do not substitute with Italian basil)
- Zucchini – 1, large
- Red bell pepper – 1, medium
- Chicken stock/water – 1 cup or as required
- Vegetable/canola oil – 2 tbsp
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces. Wash and drain out all the water. Cut the zucchini into 2-inch long strips. Cut the bell pepper into 2-inch long strips.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Once oil is hot, add the chicken cubes and sauté them for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add the Thai green curry paste and half a cup of coconut milk. Keep sautéing the chicken with curry paste and coconut milk on medium flame. Coconut milk will turn thicker and eventually get absorbed by chicken cubes.
- Continue sautéing until the chicken is browned on all sides. Then add the zucchini and bell pepper. Saute them on medium for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Now pour the remaining coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir to mix well. Bring it to boil.
- Add fish sauce, sugar and lime leaves. Give a good stir. Fish sauce will season the curry, hence no extra salt will be required.
- Simmer the Thai green chicken curry for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and tender. Check the seasoning and adjust if needed by adding little more fish sauce.
- Remove from heat and add the Thai basil leaves. Give a good stir to mix the basil leave uniformly with the curry. Your flavorful Thai green chicken curry is ready! Serve it warm with Jasmine rice and extra chillies on the side! Enjoy!