Here is the best ever recipe of insanely crispy baked chicken wings which you can jazz up with any favorite sauce of yours! Make it to believe it!
Okay, let me get straight to the point! These crispy baked chicken wings are simply insane! You won’t believe how crispy chicken wings can be unless you make these on your own!
There is some serious crispiness going on in these crispy baked chicken wings and you will be surprised or almost shocked to know that it just needs two ingredients which are available almost every day in any pantry!
The two secret ingredients needed to make these crispy baked chicken wings are salt and baking powder! Surprised? I guessed so! I was surprised too when I first came across these crispy baked chicken wings recipe and I had to make it myself to completely believe it.
Now I can confidently convince you guys to make these incredible crispy baked chicken wings at your home and thank me later.
I am too fond of chicken wings and you will find ample recipes of chicken wings in my blog. I still keep on looking for new chicken wings recipe and was in search of a versatile one which does not depend on any specific sauce.
Plus, these crispy baked chicken wings are completely guilt free as they are neither deep fried nor they contain a single drop of oil except the one you use to brush the grilling rack which can be excused as the chicken wings themselves are practically oil free.
The baking powder is the main magical ingredient here which is responsible for producing such incredibly crispy baked chicken wings. Make sure to use baking powder and not baking soda or soda bi-carb as they are completely different thing and will not produce the same result.
You can obviously add crushed black pepper for that peppery kick but I skipped it as I was preparing a hot and tangy sauce to serve these crispy baked chicken wings with!
I added my personal touch to these crispy baked chicken wings by adding garlic powder as I feel that chicken and garlic is a match made in heaven and no one should ever try to separate them from each other.
Garlic, even in its powder form, add immense flavor to the chicken meat which otherwise tastes quite bland to our liking. You can also heat things up by adding chili flakes to the chicken wings along with salt and baking powder.
So, you see how versatile this recipe of crispy baked chicken wings is! what can be a more win-win recipe than this?! You can tweak it easily to suit it to every taste bud; the crispy factor of these chicken wings would have already won everyone’s heart! These crispy baked chicken wings are real crowd pleaser in true sense of the term!
Now let’s talk about the sauce! The best and easiest sauce to serve with these scrumptious chicken wings would be undoubtedly buffalo sauce. But I played it little different this time.
Since buffalo sauce demands a lot of butter, I skipped it and instead made my own combination of hot and tangy sauce using whatever I had handy in my pantry.
I always keep a bottle of sriracha as we are real sucker of hot sauces and I happened to have a bottle of lemon sauce which may not be that common in every kitchen but it brilliantly complimented the heat of Sriracha sauce creating the perfect combination of spicy and tangy.
The final result of the sauce combination turned out to be unbelievably addictive! But, as I said, be as creative as you can be in making the sauce that you want to serve with these crispy baked chicken wings. The possibilities are simply endless.
And if you are feeling a bit too overworked to make a sauce, trust me these amazing crispy baked chicken wings tastes divine with good old tomato ketch up too! Enjoy!
- Chicken wings – 1 kg
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sriracha sauce – ¼ cup
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Lemon sauce – ½ cup (you can replace it with juice of 1 large lemon and 2 tsp of sugar)
- Wash the chicken wings and pat dry them thoroughly using a kitchen towel. If you want to be extra sure, you can chill them in refrigerator for an hour to ensure no excess moisture is left as that can be the only barrier to have the crispiest ever baked chicken wings.
- You may cut the wings into 3 parts – drumette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips and take others in a large bowl. I chopped out the wing tips keeping the drumette and wingette attached to each other just for fun and nothing else.
- Sprinkle baking powder, garlic powder and salt on the wings and massage them well ensuring each wing is coated thoroughly with the aromatics as well as baking powder which is the secret ingredient to make the wings crispiest as ever.
- Arrange the chicken wings on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet in a single layer. Placing them in single layer is important for the heat to reach each wing uniformly.
- Preheat your oven to 130 C / 250 F and bake the chicken wings for 35 minutes keeping them at the lowest shelf.
- After 35 minutes, place the chicken wings at upper middle level of the oven and increase the temperature to 220 C / 425 F and bake them for additional 40 minutes.
- While the wings are being baked, prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients listed under sauce along with ¼ cup of water. I happened to have a bottle of lemon sauce which complemented fabulously with the hot sriracha; but in case you don’t have it, you can tone down the heat of sriracha by adding some lemon juice and sugar to it along with ¼ cup of water.
- Once the wings are done baking for 40 minutes, take them out and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle half of the prepared sauce on the hot wings and toss them using a tong trying to coat the wings as thoroughly as possible with the sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce to serve with the wings.
- Now rearrange the coated wings on wire rack in a single layer and put it back to the oven on the same upper middle level keeping the temperature at 220 C / 425 F and bake for final 5 minutes.
- Serve the spicy and crispy baked chicken wings hot with the prepared hot sauce or a ranch dip. Enjoy!
i MADE THESE EASY. GREAT TASTING, LOVED THE CRUNCH AND TASTE. AMAZED MY HUBBY WHEN I USED THE BAKING POWDER AND GARLIC. HE RAVED ALSO. THANK YOU
Flavor Quotient says
Thank you very much for your kind feedback! I’m very happy to know that you guys liked it! 🙂
Anna Marie says
I’ve never made chicken wings before. THANK YOU for making it soooo easy. Very tasty!
Flavor Quotient says
I’m so glad you liked it! Thank you very much for your kind comment!
What kind of vinegar did you use ?
Flavor Quotient says
Hi! You can use apple cider or distilled white vinegar.