These easy-to-make tandoori lamb skewers are simply mind-blowing! The succulent cubes of meat with out-of-the-world spice quotient is something to die for!
This tandoori lamb skewers recipe which I am sharing today would seem a perfectly planned recipe to post right after my chicken kabobs and I am quite intrigued at this coincidence!
With our hayward schedule these days; we could hardly plan anything as seamless as this; but we are happy that it turned out to be so convenient without us even trying! How cool is that!
Tandoori chicken is already a very popular recipe of our blog; but I am more than sure that this tandoori lamb skewers will soon take over and will capture your taste buds like nothing else.
My only regret is why didn’t I try these mind-blowing tandoori lamb much earlier than this! I was little worried if I could pull it through, but after successfully churning out these tandoori lamb skewers couple of times, I have the fail-proof recipe now which I proudly wanna share with you all!
As soon as I hear the word ‘Tandoori’, it captivates me in its aromatic liveliness. I imagine some royal culinary art is about to materialize and knock us off! With this recipe of tandoori lamb; I can vouch that my imagination came true this time!
I prepared this delicacy on my hub’s birthday this year which was in June but could not share it earlier as I was sad as well as mad at myself for losing couple of video footage of this recipe of tandoori lamb.
How can I even afford to do that! But I can’t undo it now and it is gone! Fortunately, the recipe of tandoori lamb is still within me which I can never possibly lose and hence I can share with ya’all!
If you are planning for a barbecue party to enjoy last few weeks of summer, then I encourage you to try this recipe of tandoori lamb skewers.
Even though I made it in my oven as we don’t have an outdoor charcoal grill; these tandoori lamb skewers are ideal for your outdoor barbecuing.
It turns out best if you marinade the meat a night before as the lamb chunks get enough time to soak up all the wonderful flavors of spices; then it becomes super-easy the next day as all you need to do to enjoy a great meal is to just skewer them and grill them up!
Plus, the high flame of charcoal grill cooks the meat quickly as well as adds a fantastic smoky flavors making the lamb more addictive.
For replicating the smokiness of charcoal grill in your tandoori lamb, when you don’t have the luxury of outdoor grill just like us, you can do the following – once all the lamb skewers are cooked and ready, place them on a large plate keeping a gap on the center of the plate.
Heat up a small piece of charcoal in open flame; once it becomes super-hot and red, put it in a very small bowl. Carefully place the bowl on the center of the plate of tandoori lamb.
Keeping a large dome-shaped lid ready at one hand, drizzle a spoon of melted butter or clarified butter on the hot charcoal (Be careful as immense amount of smoke will generate instantly as soon as the liquid fat hits the hot charcoal!) and immediately cover the plate with the dome lid making sure no smoke can escape out beneath the lid.
Allow about 5 to 8 minutes for the charcoal smoke to add the smoky flavor to your tandoori lamb. Take the lid off after about 8 minutes, discard the charcoal and serve the delicious tandoori lamb skewers with fresh onion slices and yogurt-mint chutney! Enjoy!
- Lamb cubes – 1 kg, boneless
- Plain yogurt – 1 cup, preferably Greek-style
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 3 tsp
- Garam masala – 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly chopped cilantro to garnish
- Wash and pat dry the lamb cubes. Keep the lamb cubes about 1 inch long; chop any bigger piece for even cooking. Set aside.
- Prepare marinade by adding the yogurt in a large bowl. Then add to it ginger & garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, chili powder, garam masala, lemon juice and salt. Whisk everything well to make a homogeneous marinade.
- Add the lamb cubes to the yogurt marinade and coat them well with the mixture using a spatula. Make sure each lamb cube is thoroughly coated with yogurt marinade so that each cube can soak up all the flavors as best as possible. Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and let it chill in refrigerator for 4 hours or upto overnight.
- When you are ready to grill, preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. We will place the lamb skewers on top of wire rack with a baking sheet below and broil them in the oven; this will ensure even heat circulation around the meat and cook it evenly without making it soggy in its own liquid.
- Take the lamb out from refrigerator and skewer them in metal or bamboo skewers retaining 4 to 5 cubes in each skewer. If using bamboo skewers, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes before using so that they don’t burn while grilling.
- Place the lamb skewers on top of the wire rack. Place the wire rack along with the baking sheet at top most level of your oven; the baking sheet below wire rack will catch all the dripping liquid from lamb cubes making the clean up very easy.
- Broil the lamb skewers for 10 to 15 minutes. Then take them out and flip over. Broil them again for another 15 minutes or until the lamb is cooked according to your liking. We like them charred which is why we cook them a little longer.
- Serve the hot and spicy Tandoori lamb with onion slivers and yogurt-mint chutney garnishing with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Liked the recipe? Let us know!