This one pot roasted chicken and potatoes flavored with beautiful rosemary is a one-pot wonder which will never fail to grab your attention! This absolutely flavorful one pot chicken recipe will be your favorite meal for all its awesomeness!
I love one-pot-wonders! Is there anyone who doesn’t? I mean com’on! Can you even come up with a valid reason for anyone to not love something as amazing as one-pot meals? I can’t! today’s recipe of one pot roasted chicken and potatoes is another delightful addition to the list of one-pot wonders.
If you are one of those unfortunate few who haven’t fallen for the flavorful one-pot meals, then this is your right place to be which can change your life for good! This one pot roasted chicken with fresh rosemary is such an amazing stuff that you can’t escape from being trapped in its awesomeness!
The aroma of fresh rosemary is so soul-satisfying that it can transform any food from zero to hero; I know chicken is already something well-loved but this one pot roasted chicken with fresh rosemary is a different ballgame altogether!
One pot recipes are not rare in Indian cuisine too. Take the quintessential chicken or lamb biryani for example! The meat cooked with flavored rice sealed in the same vessel is an ultimate example of one-pot wonders.
We Indians can’t even imagine our lives without flavorful biryanis! If I start talking about biryanis, it would be tough for me to stop. So, I better come back to my today’s recipe of one pot roasted chicken which in no way is lesser than a pot of smoking hot biryani!
I loved this one pot roasted chicken recipe because of the combination of fresh rosemary with chicken which creates an amazing flavor which is completely indescribable in word! The added bonus is the crispy roasted potatoes which becomes insanely delish while being roasted with chicken & rosemary!
Grilled or roast chicken has been our family favorite. Though I haven’t had much of grilled chicken during my childhood days as they were not very popular at that time. Once I discovered this treasure during my exploration of culinary world, there was no looking back!
I am just hooked to the idea of chicken marinated with some spice/herbs and then grilled/roasted on fire. The smoky flavor of spice-rubbed chicken & potatoes after being roasted completely slay us just like it did in this one pot roasted chicken recipe. Can it get any better? I don’t think so!
I also can’t underestimate the potatoes! Potatoes are must! I have to have roasted potatoes with roast chicken and it is non-negotiable! They just go hand in hand and this one pot roasted chicken is simply incomplete without those chargrilled caramelized super-tasty potatoes all infused with the chicken juices!
The potatoes will vanish even before the chicken once you place the roasting dish on the table! Trust me, I am not joking! I got this recipe of one pot roasted chicken from one of my favorite youtubers Laura Vitale.
Surprisingly, I had all the ingredients needed for this recipe at hand and I immediately made up my mind to give it a shot. I marinated the chicken overnight which I think is best for such roast chicken recipes. But if you can’t afford that much time, you can let your chicken marinade for at least 2 hours.
I can understand that you may not have all these ingredients readily at home, but I encourage you – wait, let me correct myself, I insist you – to plan for making this delicious one pot roasted chicken with rosemary and get all the ingredients during your next supermarket trip. I can guarantee that you will thank me later! Enjoy!
- Skin on chicken drumsticks and thighs – 1 kg/2 lb
- Dried paprika – 2 tsp
- Fresh rosemary – 3 tbsp, leaves stripped from the stem and roughly chopped
- Garlic powder – 2 tsp
- Onion powder – 2 tsp
- Dried thyme – 1 & ½ tsp
- Dried sage – 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 12-15 cloves, unpeeled
- Potatoes – 500 gms, unpeeled & quartered
- Take a large bowl and combine together the paprika, 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary, dried thyme, onion & garlic powder (you can substitute the powders with onion-garlic paste too), dried sage, Dijon mustard, ⅓ cup of olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper. Whisk everything together to get a homogeneous marinade for chicken.
- Now add the chicken pieces and garlic cloves to the marinade and coat everything really well. Cover and marinate the chicken overnight if possible or at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator at least 10 minutes before cooking and allow it to sit at room temperature.
- In the meantime, toss the quartered potatoes in remaining 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. (You won’t need to peel the potatoes but make sure to wash all the dirt off! The skin will taste incredible after roasting!)
- Preheat the oven to 220 C/425 F. Arrange the chicken along with all the marinade in a large baking dish and surround them with the potatoes and unpeeled garlic cloves. (If you peel the garlic cloves, they may burn while roasting and won’t taste good. The skin will prevent them from burning and the roasted garlic will taste awesome!)
- Roast the chicken with potatoes for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through and the potatoes are golden brown and caramelized.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley all over the one pot roasted chicken & potatoes and serve warm! Enjoy!