The absolutely flavorful chicken xacuti from the wonderful golden beaches of Goa in the West coast of India is on the plate for you guys today!
This chicken xacuti was a real discovery! I swear! I was wondering what to share next on my blog and exploring my old collections since the latest ones were not ready to go yet. Then I found these pictures of chicken Xacuti in an old folder and jumped on my chair!
I don’t know how I missed this wonderful Goan dish called chicken xacuti, but am glad that I finally discovered this! And as the saying goes right – it’s better to late than never!
I had shared about our Goan experience in an earlier post of mine where I had shared my recipe of Goan classic chicken cafreal recipe. Goa is definitely an experience of lifetime and one must visit this wonderful place at least once in their lifetime.
Then it will keep attracting you again and again; like this recipe of chicken xacuti which keeps tempting me to make it again and again.
I had made this chicken xacuti long back – almost a year back to be specific! But this came out so good that the taste is still lingering in my mouth! This chicken xacuti is a classic Goan delicacy.
Goa is a small beach town on the West coast of India and the hottest tourist destination for not only Indians but also for international travelers.
And Goa deserves all the love and attention it gets from tourists all over the world. Goa has its own magic which I can’t describe in words and you only have to feel it to know it.
Other than the beautiful beaches, Goa also has an extremely flavorful cuisine. The blend of spices in Goan recipes creates an absolute magic.
If you don’t trust me or haven’t been lucky enough to taste this wonderful cuisine, do make this Chicken xacuti at home and I bet you will agree with me!
Chicken xacuti is a chicken gravy recipe with overload of whole spices, but everything mingles with each other so beautifully that you will not forget the taste of chicken xacuti for a long time and I can bet on that. Make this chicken xacuti at home and you will know what I am talking about!
- Chicken – 1 kg, cut into medium sized pieces
- Grate coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4-6 cloves
- Dry red chillies – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seed – 1 & ½ tbsp.
- Black peppercorn – 10 to 14
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Carom seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 6 to 8
- Cinnamon stick – 2 inch
- Star anise – 4
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Onions – 2, medium, chopped
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
- Grated nutmeg - ¼ tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet and sauté the grated coconut till lightly brown. Transfer it to a blender jar. Add garlic cloves.
- Now dry roast red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, carom seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon and star anise till fragrant. Add it to the blender along with the coconut.
- Add the turmeric powder and a little water and grind everything to a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan and sauté onions till browned.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté on high heat for two to three minutes.
- Add the spice paste and salt and stir well so that the chicken pieces are all coated with the spices.
- Next add two cups of water and tamarind pulp and mix thoroughly. Grate some nutmeg, about ¼ teaspoon and add it to the gravy.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about thirty minutes or till the chicken is tender.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
plasterers bristol says
Mouthwatering recipe. Thank for sharing this. My favorite.
what kind of coconut fresh or dry to grate.
Thank u lokks excellent.I am gonna try
Use fresh if you can as that would give maximum taste. Let me know how it turned out! 🙂
Deliciously Made Classic Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe! Looks soo Yumm , I am going to try this recipe & Thank you for the recipe making tips!