The perfect one-pot chicken and rice is inspired from my short stint in Greece!
It has been a while now since I am back from Greece. But I have not even accomplished ten percent of my plan to prepare Greek food at home! My bad!
This Greek tomato rice with chicken is one tempting recipe which my husband selected from the Greek cookbook I bought there and I thank him earnestly! I didn’t imagine that such an easy dish can be soooo tasty!
The only thing that’s coming to my mind to describe this one pot meal is the awesome flavor! The chicken and rice are cooked together in the broth which lends fantastic aroma to every bit.
The recipe suggested using the whole leg portion i.e. keeping the thigh and leg intact which unanimously is the tastiest portion of chicken and lends maximum flavor. This is best for such casserole like dishes.
While making this dish of Greek tomato rice with chicken, make sure to use bright red tomatoes since it is the base of the dish and all the other seasoning ingredients work like magic with the flavor of well-ripe tomatoes.
This is the perfect one pot meal for lazy days which is one more reason to love it!
- Chicken whole leg – 2
- Long grain rice – 100 gms
- Ripe tomatoes – 2, large, finely diced
- Onion – 1, large, finely diced
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – ½ cup
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced black olives to garnish
- Water as required (As a thumb rule, add double volume of water as compared to rice)
- Heat a large skillet with high sides with olive oil in it. A saute pan is perfect for this recipe.
- Once the oil is hot, saute the onions and garlic paste in it for 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken portions and let them turn golden brown on both sides.
- Add tomatoes and some water (not too much! Add in between if things start to stick too much.), salt and pepper and let everything cook for an hour.
- Add rice and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Check if the rice is completely done.
- Boil off any excess water and serve hot garnishing with sliced black olives.
Liked the recipe? Let us know!