This spicy honey chicken is one perfect appetizer for satisfying your sudden chicken cravings or feeding a crowd of unpredictable friends! But beware, their sudden rendezvous will not stop any sooner!
If you are looking for a quick and easy chicken appetizer recipe, then give this spicy honey chicken recipe of mine a try, I bet you will love it!
This sweet yet spicy honey chicken has multiple notes of flavors which will tantalize your taste buds as soon as you take your first bite and you will reach out for more. Chicken has become a staple ingredient for appetizers in my household thanks to my hub! I mean I am fond of it too, but not as addicted as him.
During my childhood, it was either the classic Bengali chicken curry which ma used to make for Sunday lunch or the homely Indo-Chinese chili chicken prepared during family get-togethers – no other experiments!
During my exploration of new recipes of chicken, I discovered this Asian honey chicken which looked very promising. I tweaked it by adding a hint of spiciness to it as we are more inclined to spicy food; but trust me on this, the blend of sweet and spicy turned out to be a killer combination!
Plus, this honey chicken is not only super delicious, but also super-easy to make! You will see it for yourself when you scroll down to the recipe below!
Honey chicken is quite a popular Asian recipe which I realized after observing the number of honey chicken recipes available on net.
After going through few, I made up my own with the combination of sauces as per my liking. I am sure you will love this as my honey chicken is not only plain sweet, but also has a kick of spiciness which will keep on lingering in your mouth for long and make you crave for more.
The combination of the sauces gives the boring chicken breast a very delish make-over and this could be a real star on your dinner table!
I love to have a huge collection of chicken appetizer recipes as they save us on many occasions. These chicken appetizers can be prepared in a jiffy and always prove to be crowd-pleaser.
This spicy honey chicken will not disappoint you; give this a try and let me know how addictive your friends and family have become to your cooking skill! Happy cooking!
- Chicken breast – 2, skinless & boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Dry red chilies – 2 to 3, broken into pieces
- Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Spring onions – 3, white part finely chopped and greens cut into 1-cm pieces
- Tomato ketchup – 2 & ½ tbsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Vegetable/canola oil for deep frying the chicken
- Eggs – 2, beaten
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Corn flour – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts. Cut each chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Take them in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients of the marinade to the chicken and mix everything well so that each chicken cube is coated thoroughly with the corn flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan. Once the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. Tip in the coated chicken cubes one by one into the hot oil making sure they don’t stick to each other. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the chicken cubes until they are crispy and golden brown. Take them out using a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok. Once the oil is smoking hot, reduce heat. Add dry red chilis and stir. Add garlic paste. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add finely chopped white part of spring onions, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and honey. Sauté for a few seconds. You should not need any extra salt in the sauce as all the sauces come with added salt. But check for yourself and adjust only if needed.
- Add the crispy fried chicken and stir-fry ensuring that each piece is coated with the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add few splashes of water and give a good stir. Final dish should be dry with all the sauce coating the chicken cubes all over. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the greens of spring onions. Serve hot!