Simply fell in love with this baked sausage and peppers recipe which comes together in a jiffy without any fuss whatsoever!
I was seeing this Italian baked sausage and peppers recipe for quite some time now and was always intrigued by it; so much so that I finally decided to make it for our dinner one day. And thank God I did!
Chicken sausages are very easily available in India nowadays thanks to the supermarket chains and we both are freaking fan of them. After gorging too many simply sautéed sausages, I was looking for some other exciting recipe which can be made using this favorite stuff of ours and bam!
I got just the perfect thing I was looking for – this super delicious baked sausage and peppers! If you have seen loads of packets of sausages in the frozen section of your local supermarket, but not sure what to do with them, then this baked sausage and peppers recipe is what you need in your life!
No other recipe can get easier than this and I can vouch for that! This baked sausage and peppers recipe of mine is inspired from the classic Italian style sausage, peppers, potato and onion bake.
Unfortunately, I can’t get my hands on the Italian sausages here which is why mine is not exactly the Italian version of sausage and peppers bake recipe but nonetheless it is extremely flavorful and delicious!
As you can see from the pictures, this baked sausage and peppers is a very colorful dish thanks to the assorted bell peppers used in it. I was very particular about using all three-colored bell peppers as that, in my opinion, is the USP of the dish.
Don’t you think so? Okay, just close your eyes and imagine the tray full of sausage with peppers of just one color, say green. What do you feel? Doesn’t it feel meh? It sure does, at least for me!
These vibrant colors of bell peppers are real mood-boosters which made me think that this baked sausage and peppers can be an ideal peacemaker after a couple-fight! Whoever makes it first to bring the fight to an end gets a larger share of this deliciousness, agreed?
I do because I am sure I will be the one making this baked sausage and peppers again and again, fight or no fight! It is that good!
The sweet bell peppers complement the spicy sausages so beautifully that this combination of sausage and peppers feels like a match made in heaven!
If you are wondering which sausage to use for making this baked sausage and peppers, then let me tell you the good news. You can use whichever sausage you like to eat. If you happen to get Italian sausages, then that would make it the authentic Italian baked sausage and peppers.
In case you can’t get them, do not worry! Use whichever sausage you have at hand and it will still be awesome, trust me! Also, I have used those herbs which I love most, especially oregano and thyme are my most favorite ones.
I added parsley too just for a bit of fun! So, my main point is, there is no strict rule as to which herb you should be adding to your baked sausage and peppers; you can add Italian seasoning, mixed herbs or even the pizza seasoning which you generally get with your pizza deliveries.
But do add some kind of herb to jazz up the flavors of peppers along with my favorite aromatic which I can’t live without. Any guesses? Garlic, of course!
How can one even think of making any recipe without garlic? I am convinced that my life is incomplete without garlic at this moment and I can’t even imagine how I survived my past years!
That became possible only because I was an unaware soul with no idea what I am missing in life! But now I know and can’t allow any good recipe such as this baked sausage and peppers to materialize without garlic!
Please do not miss garlic in this recipe; if you don’t like the flavor of garlic, just grate a single clove in it. I assure you that it won’t overpower the overall flavor of the dish and will neither kill the flavors of the herbs; but will enhance the flavor quotient of your baked sausage and peppers for sure!
You will also see that I added couple of potatoes in my dish, but it is totally optional. I added very minimal potatoes just to add little carb to our meal as well as to satisfy my craving for crunchy roasted potatoes.
If you too are adding potatoes, make sure to start baking them first as they take much longer to cook completely. Otherwise your baked sausage and peppers will be accompanied by uncooked potatoes which of course is the last thing you would want in your dish.
Try this baked sausage and peppers on one of the weeknights in coming week and let me know how much you and your family loved it! Enjoy!
- Chicken sausage or any sausage of your choice – 8
- Red bell pepper – 1
- Green bell pepper – 1
- Yellow bell pepper – 1
- Potato – 2, medium
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 6-8 cloves, miced
- Dried oregano – ½ tsp
- Dried thyme – ½ tsp
- Dried parsley – ½ tsp
- Chili flakes – ½ tsp
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F and place the wire rack at the center of the oven.
- Wash the potatoes really well to remove any dirt as we will leave the skin on; roasted potatoes taste best with skin on. Cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Brush a baking pan with little olive oil. Spread the potatoes on the baking pan in a single layer, drizzle olive oil, sprinkle some salt & pepper over them and bake them in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Since potatoes take more time to bake than peppers, I had baked them until half-way done and then added the peppers and sausages to bake.
- The chicken sausages I used were about 6 inches long; so, I had cut each into 2 pieces. Also cut all the bell peppers into thin long strips.
- Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, place the sausage into the frying pan and fry them on medium heat until they turn golden brown, about 2 minutes. Then flip them over and fry for another 2 minutes. Take them out in a plate along with the oil which was left in frying pan.
- Place all the chopped bell pepper slices in a large bowl and add the minced garlic to it. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle all the dried herbs & chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Also add the sautéed sausages (along with the flavorful oil in which the sausages were sautéed) to the same bowl with peppers and give everything a very good mix so that the dried herbs & seasonings are well-distributed.
- Once the potatoes are baked for 20 minutes, take the baking pan out and transfer the sausages & peppers to it. Distribute the sausage & peppers evenly in a single layer to ensure even baking.
- Put the baking tray back in the oven and bake them for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the sausage and peppers are cooked as per your liking; some like their peppers little crunchy, some like them soft just like how I like them. So keep checking in between.
- Take the baked sausage and peppers out of the oven and serve them warm along with your favorite drink. Enjoy!