These roasted chicken thighs with potatoes made with a cilantro-chilli marinade is the ultimate comfort food on a lazy weeknight. It’s immensely flavorful and ridiculously easy!
With this 250th post, I am regarding this as start of my second phase of blogging! I was away for quite long and wasn’t able to make the perfect come-back. But then this recipe of roasted chicken thighs in a potentially delightful cilantro chilli marinade drew my attention while lazily browsing through Foodgawker in search of some inspiration. And what a discovery it was! These roasted chicken thighs turned out so good that nothing else could have been better as a come-back recipe than this!
I was inspired by similar recipe in blog the flavors of kitchen which looked gorgeous and I adapted it to make my roasted chicken thighs a bit more simpler without sacrificing any bit of flavor. Even before making it, I knew this cilantro chili roasted chicken thighs are going to be a show-stopper!
Given the fact that we are a chicken loving family, it’s no surprise that we will fall for this incredible roasted chicken thigh dish instantly. But if you are one of those who thinks chicken is a bit boring, this roasted chicken thighs with a magical cilantro chili marinade can turn your judgement towards chicken upside down. Trust me on this!
The cilantro chilli marinade does something magical to the chicken which I admit that I fail to describe appropriately in words. You have to try this on your own and come back to me if you know how to explain this dish! Done deal?
It is full-on monsoon in Bangalore now and such spicy roasted chicken thighs are the ultimate comfort food on a rainy day. Bangalore becomes too cold during the monsoon due to the chilling wind; one pot meals like these roasted chicken thighs make it easier to enjoy the romantic rains without worrying much about the kitchen hassles!
I have made this recipe of roasted chicken thighs a bit easier for you. Just marinade, roast and enjoy! I term such recipes as “shut it and forget it” recipe (had heard this catch line in an advertisement long back but can’t recall the product now! Getting old, ehh?). If you would also want to enjoy the drizzling romanticism or you are in the mood to light up the grill then hop on – the recipe of cilantro chili roasted chicken thigh is right below!
- Chicken thighs – 8 pieces (I used skinless but for more crispiness, you can use skin-on thighs)
- Potatoes – 2, large
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Fresh cilantro leaves – 2 cups, tightly packed
- Green chillies – 2 to 3 (adjust depending on your heat preference)
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves
- Onion – 1, small, roughly chopped
- Olive oil – ¼ cup (or vegetable oil)
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients listed under marinade except oil to a food processor or grinder and blend everything to a smooth paste. Add very little water only if needed to aid smooth blending.
- Now add oil in a slow stream keeping the processor on and blend till you get a thick marinade for the chicken. Set aside until you prepare chicken and potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and season with salt. Keep the skin on for extra crispiness. Wash and pat dry the chicken thighs and season them with salt and pepper.
- Now use ¾ of the marinade for chicken and ¼ for the potatoes. Rub the marinade over the chicken on all sides thoroughly. Mix the potatoes with the marinade. Let everything sit for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 390 F. Place the chicken and potatoes on a roasting sheet in a single layer. Baste them with oil.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. Then turn them over and roast for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C / 165 F. Do not forget to baste the chicken with oil after every 10 minutes to keep them moist and juicy. *
- Once done serve the coriander-chilli roast chicken with lemon wedges.