There has to be ups and downs; else life is not worth living; but I would have been a happier person if I could have stopped some ‘down’s to happen. But that’s that!
I believe with every passing year, we become stronger (and wiser? I wonder!) to control our lives in a better way than before.
Whenever I am not pressed with some complex analysis, I will be found in the kitchen doing something or the other. My tiny kitchen attracts me like anything and I can’t resist it.
These cupcakes are the result of such idle times of mine when I had nothing else to do and I can’t be thankful enough for that yummy joblessness!
To put is simply, every bite of it is better than the previous one. Moreover these are so easy to make that you will fall in love with very easily!
- Granulated white sugar – 1 cup (200 gms)
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup (130 gms)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – ⅓ cup (35 gms)
- Baking powder – ¾ tsp
- Baking soda – ¾ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Egg – 1, large
- Mashed ripe bananas – ½ cup, about 1 medium sized banana
- Warm water – ½ cup (120 ml)
- Milk – ¼ cup (60 ml)
- Vegetable or any flavorless oil like canola or corn oil – ¼ cup (60 ml)
- Pure vanilla extract – ¾ tsp
- Unsweetened chocolate – 90 gms, coarsely chopped
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup (113 gms), room temperature
- Confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar – 1 cup (120 gms), sifted
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line 12 regular-sized muffin cups with paper liners or brush some oil into them.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the egg, mashed banana, water, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Now make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour over the wet ingredients mixture.
- Mix well using a whisk to make a homogeneous batter. The batter will be quite thin. You won’t need any electric mixer for this.
- Scoop the batter equally into 12 muffin cups using an ice-cream scoop, about ¾th full, and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Take the butter in a large bowl and beat it using a hand mixer until smooth and creamy for about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy for about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat on low speed until well incorporated.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy for about 2 -3 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes making your favorite design.