A super twist to the favorite Indian aloo jeera (cumin) by adding the vibrant pomegranate seeds!
My today’s recipe is quite short and sweet. Cumin potatoes with pomegranate seeds. Yes, I agree, the name is long but the recipe is not! It just takes 10 minutes to pull together and serves as a perfect appetizer.
Cumin potato literally translates to Jeera Aloo which is a popular recipe in India. Jeera as in cumin and aloo as in potato. My husband has quite mysteriously fallen in love with this dish after trying it at some random place!
So it became a challenge for me to create a better version of the same and here it is!
This appetizer has quite a punch in it and I love the crunch which comes from the sesame seeds. It’s also a good way to incorporate such healthy elements into our diet.
And with pomegranate seeds, it becomes a level higher in terms of nutrition. But the best part is – hubby dearest loved it way more than what he ate outside! At least that’s what he made me believe and I am happy with that!
You can also check out popular Indian potato recipe- Dum Aloo!
Cumin Potato with Pomegranate Seeds
Serves: 4 servings
- Potato – 500 gms, boiled
- Pomegranate – ½
- Sunflower or any other flavorless oil – 4 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 4 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – ½ cup, chopped
- Lemon – 1
- Salt to taste
- Cut the boiled potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
- To remove the pomegranate seeds, place it over a large bowl with cut-side down and hit with a back of a spoon (you can use your rolling pin also!), catching the seeds in the bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle for a minute over medium heat.
- Then add the cumin seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves and stir-fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Next add the ground spices – red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Stir in the cubed potatoes and season with salt to taste. Mix well.
- Stir-fry everything on high heat for 4 to 5 minutes until all potatoes are coated well with spices.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chopped fresh coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and serve hot!