This quick and easy chicken and broccoli stir fry is a super meal in itself. It is an absolute win-win recipe with a high deliciousness quotient and so easy that dinner will be ready under 30 minutes on a weeknight!
I am all for quick recipes but with only one condition. It must not compromise on the taste. And this chicken and broccoli stir fry wins my heart hands down. I am sure you will agree as soon as you try it.
Stir fries are such saviors I tell you! Firstly there is no hard and first rule for which veggies/meats you can or cannot use and then you can season with whichever sauce you like to finish the dish. What else can you ask for?
Now tell me how many of you actually love broccoli and can live only on this single vegetable? Anyone? None?
I knew that and I can’t blame you for that! Let’s be honest and admit that broccoli is a very bland and unappetizing vegetable on its own. But you also have to trust me when I tell you that you can actually make broccoli taste quite good and can really enjoy it while eating!
This simple Chinese sauce which I made for this stir fry adheres to this green veggie beautifully and makes it really flavorful. To put it correctly, the sauce actually gives the broccoli an entire make-over which you won’t be able to resist!
This stir fry is not only tasty and quick but is also very healthy for you. As you can see that the green is retained in the broccoli because I have simply steamed them for few minutes before stir frying, you will have all the goodness of this super-veggie in your bowl.
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast – 250 gms
- Broccoli – 1 medium head
- Garlic powder – ½ tsp
- Cornflour – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce – 2 tsp
- Rice wine vinegar – 1 tsp
- Green chilli sauce – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves, minced
- Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Cut the broccoli into medium size florets discarding the hard stalks. Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Drop the broccoli florets into the boiling water and let it cook on high flame for exactly 2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and put in ice water to retain the vibrant green color of the broccoli. Drain after 15 minutes and set aside.
- Make a sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, green chilli sauce, cornflour and half a cup of water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into long strips. Add minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of cornflour and ½ teaspoon of salt to the chicken. Drizzle some vegetable oil and mix everything well.
- Heat a large wok and add 2 teaspoon of vegetable oil into it. Once the oil is super-hot, add the chicken pieces on place them on single layer. Fry the on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, after about 10 minutes, add the steamed broccoli and the prepared sauce [Make sure to whisk the sauce again before adding as the cornflour has the tendency to settle down at the bottom]. Sprinkle some more water if the veggies and chicken stick to the wok.
- Stir-fry everything on high heat for couple of minutes and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if required. Keep in mind that all the sauces are salty in itself; so taste before adding more.
- When the sauce thicken and adheres to the chicken and broccoli and everything seem to be cooked through, remove from heat.
- Serve hot on a bed of white rice!