The crispy fried chicken momos have become one of the most popular street foods in India! Make these fried chicken momos at home and you will love it more!
It seemed that I had been transported to a different world altogether! Yes, the month of October was exactly like that and only yesterday I was again brought back to reality! Hello everyone! Hope you all are doing great and had a great time in this festive season. More festivals are on their way to come and fill our life with joy and happiness.
So, I thought this would be the best time to do my come-back! And what’s a come-back without a blockbuster recipe? Hence, I bring to you a very popular street food which is available all over India simply because we Indians love it to bits and that is nothing but scrumptious fried chicken momos!
I am sure you have tasted both steamed and fried chicken momos at some point of your life and you definitely have preference of one over the other. But I think both steamed and fried chicken momos have something different to offer to our taste buds.
Steamed chicken momos are succulent with an umami factor to it, whereas the fried chicken momos come with a crispy goodness to it. Nevertheless, steamed or fried, chicken momos are real crowd pleaser and once you learn to make it at home, you can surprise as well as delight yourself and your friends & family whenever you want.
Additionally, in your homemade fried chicken momos, you can add as much chicken filling as you want and also play around with the flavors of the chicken stuffing. Making street foods at home has its own advantage, apart from it being healthier; you can make your own signature version of any regular recipe and the possibilities are practically endless! Make this fried chicken momos at home and let the spirit of festivities continue! Enjoy!
- Refined/all-purpose flour (maida) – 1 & ½ cups
- Refined oil – ¼th cup
- Salt to taste
- Baking powder – ¼ th tsp
- Chicken mince – 300 gms
- Onions – 2, medium, finely chopped
- Garlic cloves – 7 to 8, chopped
- Light soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 2 or 3, chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Mix the refined flour, oil, salt and baking powder and knead to make a not-very-stiff dough with water. Set aside.
- Wash the chicken mince thoroughly and season with salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Tip in the chopped onion, garlic and chopped green chillies. Sauté them till lightly brown.
- Add the minced chicken and fry them till almost cooked.
- Tip it out in a bowl and mix in the soy sauce and vinegar. Adjust salt if needed. Set aside.
- Take small balls of the dough and roll it out thin into a circle of diameter 4 to 5 inch.
- Place some chicken mince filling in the center, wet the wedges with water, bring the edges together to cover the filling and twist to seal. Make the rest of the momos in the same way.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a wok. When the oil is quiet hot, bring the heat to medium and deep fry the momos until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Do keep in mind that the chicken filling is already cooked, so you only need to cook the outer coating. [Check the tip on deep frying below.]
- Serve the hot fried chicken momos with Schezwan or sweet chilli sauce.