The crispiest roasted chicken wings with Indian spices are the most addictive chicken wings we ever made at home; it’s super spicy and super yummy!
If you are one of those chicken wings lovers who lose count while gorging on the scrumptious chicken wings, then this Indian spiced roasted chicken wings recipe is just the ideal one for you. As soon as you take the first bite of this crispy roasted chicken wings, you will be taken in into its spell! I am warning you, try these Indian spiced chicken wings at your own risk! Being chicken wings lovers and after trying an array of chicken wings recipes, we both were looking for a new recipe with wings and casually thought of using good old Indian spices on them. Then upon searching on net, we got the idea of adding corn-flour/cornstarch and rice flour from chef John of food wishes and we can’t thank him enough for this! This gluten-free roasted chicken wings came out so crispy that you would hardly be able to believe it, all thanks to corn-flour and rice flour and of course chef John!
The amount of oil used in this recipe of roasted chicken wings is almost negligible. The dry rub made of all aromatic Indian spices does all the magic. You don’t even need to wait for long margination hours; just rub the wings and shove them into the grill. The benefit of dry spice rub is that you can make extra and keep them handy for future use (you will see the same in my video!) I used about 2 pounds of chicken (little less than a kg) and half of the dry spice blend which I prepared. This ratio of chicken to spice-mix is important as otherwise the spices may be too overwhelming for the wings.
Running a food blog is real fun and can be equally stressful – I can say this decidedly after running our food blog for good over 5 years. This can be fun when you keep on trying new recipes, tweaking them to your own liking, develop new recipes and discover fun ways to present them to your readers/viewers. Similarly, this can be stressful when you see your blog not growing in the speed you anticipated because of numerous reasons like other professional commitments, business travels etc slowing down your growth and eventually leaving you frustrated. Those are the times when we need to pick ourselves up and keep going for the love of good food and the joy of spreading them across the world if not for anything else! After doing this for quite some time now, I can safely say that this space gives me immense pleasure when I interact with you all and get to hear how much you loved our recipes!
Today’s Indian spiced roasted chicken wings will bring you equal pleasure to you once you try them on your own. The Indian spice blend which I made here will be good on many other things e.g. fish fillets, chicken drumsticks or lamb steaks. The spice mix is packed with great flavor and heat and is definitely not for the faint-hearted. If you are not too fond of heat, cut down the amount of paprika and black pepper by half. If you are a sucker for spicy roasted chicken just like us, don’t wait more to make these roasted chicken wings; you will love us for this!
- Chicken wings – 1 kg, skin-on & bone-in
- Oil for brushing (about 2 tbsp)
- Corn-flour/cornstarch – 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Paprika – 4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 4 tsp
- Garam masala – 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper – 2 tsp
- Kosher salt – 4 tsp
- In a small bowl add all the ingredients listed for Indian spice blend. Give them a good mix using a wire whisk. Set them aside.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken wings. Cut each wing into 3 pieces – drumette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips and take others in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the prepared spice blend over the chicken wings and coat them using a tong or shake the bowl so that the spices reach every nook and corner of the chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F. Place a grilling rack on a baking sheet and brush or spray it with oil to prevent chicken from sticking to it.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the grilling rack in a single layer keeping some gap between two. Do not overcrowd the grilling rack. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil on the arranged wings.
- Bake the chicken wings in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then take them out, brush with the remaining oil and flip them over.
- Bake them again for another 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them so that they don’t burn as every oven’s temperature setting is different.
- Once done sprinkle fresh coriander leaves and onion strips over the roasted chicken wings. Serve them warm with your favorite dipping sauce (It was incredibly tasty even without a dipping sauce, trust me!). Enjoy!