These soft and fluffy pancakes will make your weekends extra delightful and you will not wonder like my better half ‘what’s the fuss about pancakes’ anymore!!
Last weekend proved to be very productive! And this makes me happy, real happy I mean! I was not able to make much progress with the blog lately and was not happy with the way our blog was going; the frustration was making me even lazier rather than motivating me pick it up! Finally last weekend was cooking marathon and I have many delicious recipes lined up for you now.
I decided to start with the easiest of the lot and that is pancake! Are you already drooling over those softest and fluffiest wonder of the world and being doubtful whether you would be able to recreate them in your own kitchen? I bet you will! This is that easy and insanely delish!
I wanted to make pancakes for long, but my better half never seemed to be interested in these for ‘god-knows-why’! Then suddenly he watched someone relishing pancakes somewhere on Youtube and got hooked to it; again ‘god-knows-why’! Finally unable to suppress his temptation, he inquired if I would be able to make some pancakes for him! Are you kidding me?
Of course I can! Is that even a question! No no, I am not bragging about my cooking skills, honestly! I told you I wanted to make pancakes before, which means I already knew the recipe and was aware how easy they are to make! So honey, it hurts when you ask such questions! Muah!
To me, making cake and making pancakes are two complete different ballgames. While I make cake, I convert to a kitchen-nazi. I measure all my ingredients on my cute little kitchen scale to the max possible decimal precision and don’t even bother to look at the cup measurements. I have been through that ‘I-did-everything-right-but-my-cake-turned-out-like-this (read ‘disastrous’) baking phase and finally realized how deceiving cup measurements can be! So I have come to terms with the extra effort of weighing all my ingredients to utmost perfection to ensure a perfectly baked cake.
That’s not the case with pancakes. And I am so thankful for that. I only used my set of measuring cups and spoons for this which makes life quite easy and gave my poor weighing scale a break. You are allowed to be a bit flexible with pancakes; but just do not over-mix the batter (your hands will be happy too!) and every time you will produce the world’s softest and fluffiest pancakes ever in your own little kitchen!
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup (130 gms)
- Baking powder – 1 & ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Granulated white sugar – 2 tbsp
- Egg – 1, large
- Milk – 1 cup (240 ml)
- Melted unsalted butter – 2 tbsp (28 gms)
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together egg, milk and melted butter.
- Now make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the mixture of wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir everything until just combined. Do not worry if the batter has some lumps. Overmixing the batter may result in tough pancakes.
- Heat a frying pan on medium high heat until it is quite hot. Alternatively you can use an electric griddle setting the temperature at 180 C or 350 F.
- Using a pastry brush or paper towel, lightly brush the cooking surface with oil or melted butter. Now pour about ¼ cup of pancake batter on the hot pan and let the batter spread on its own. I used my measuring cup of size ¼ and it produced 5 decent sized pancakes as you see in the pictures.
- Let the pancake sit for 3 to 4 minutes on medium-high heat until bubble forms on top and the bottom turns golden brown. Then flip it over and cook the other side for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat the process till you use up the whole batter but don’t forget to brush the pan/griddle with oil or butter before adding the batter next time.
- Serve warm with butter and maple syrup or seasonal fruits.