The classic spaghetti marinara tastes best with the homemade sauce and loads of grated Parmesan! The bits of chicken sausages are additional bonus!
As promised, here is the recipe for classic Italian spaghetti with my homemade marinara sauce. I could not wait to share this recipe with you all! If you are a pasta lover, then this is the ultimate recipe for you and you can’t afford to miss it at all!
I could never like the tomato sauce based pastas served in the popular Italian restaurants here as I found them too sour for my liking; so I always used to go for the safe bet – the classic white sauce pasta. But this homemade spaghetti marinara has entirely changed my perspective. I used to wonder why this pasta with red sauce is so popular globally and now I know the reason! This homemade marinara sauce makes all the difference.
I will never ever put my hands on those bottled sauce in the supermarkets again!
During my short stint in Greece, I tasted varieties of pasta dishes and found few favorites of mine. I even bought few packets of dry pastas to bring back home and this spaghetti I used today is one of them.
I really regret for not making a quick visit to the land of origin of pastas and pizzas [I was with lack of company you know!] and discover more about the world famous Italian cuisine. But that’s definitely in my future travel plans with the dream of exploring more of that historic country, its culture and food. Italy, just wait for me!
If you don’t have a packet of spaghetti handy, do not worry. This sauce can be used with any kind of pastas – short or long. Only thing I would recommend is to use a good quality of parmesan cheese as it makes hell lot of difference to the final taste. Try to pick up these gourmet cheeses from the specialized cheese bars. That may be a few extra bucks but totally worth it!
I wanted to keep this recipe simple which is why I added only few bite sized pieces of chicken sausages and nothing else. The saucy sausages added extra flavor to the saucy pasta making the whole experience extra special!
This spaghetti marinara is an ideal dinner option for a busy nights. This is so quick that dinner will take only as long as it takes to boil the pasta to be served on the table. You can also freeze the left overs and just sprinkle more freshly grated Parmesan before reheating.
You can even customize this recipe by incorporating your innovative ideas into it if you have some time to indulge! But don’t overpower the sauce with other strong aromatics as you won’t be able to get the original essence of the fresh sauce.
Enjoy the delicious spaghetti marinara!
- Spaghetti – 250 gms
- Marinara sauce – 1 & ½ cup or more if required
- Parmesan cheese – ½ cup, grated
- Chicken sausage – 150 gms
- Basil leaves – 1 cup, tightly packed
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tsp plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly crushed black pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti as per the package instructions in heavily salted boiling water until al dente i.e. soft but still retain a bite. Make sure to reserve a cup of pasta boiling water before draining the pasta. Set the drained pasta aside.
- Fry the chicken sausages in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until brown for about 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overcook. Cut the cooked chicken sausages into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pot and add the marinara sauce. Once the sauce is warmed, add the cooked pasta and toss in the sauce with the help of a tong. Add the chicken sausage and season with salt and pepper.
- Tear the basil leave roughly and sprinkle over the spaghetti. Add half of the grated parmesan cheese and give a final toss to coat everything thoroughly with the sauce. Check and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve in individual plates, drizzle some more extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!