Crunchy and crispy Indian spiced roasted potatoes go to the next level with the flavorful Indian spices! I can bet you will never get over it!
Where do I start with these Indian spiced roasted potatoes! These golden colored roasted potatoes are simply wholesome awesomeness packed in a roasting dish and one can never get enough of it! Since the time I had got my oven almost 3 years back, I thought of roasting potatoes multiple times but something or the other always came in way attracting a higher priority than potatoes.
Finally, after lot of planning & determination, I was able to get the potatoes into my oven but after they came out of the oven with the makeover, again something came in their way of being photographed! But this time it was us being responsible for these beautiful Indian spiced golden potatoes not being lucky enough to get clicked! What we did to them you ask?
Well, the potatoes came out of the oven and went directly to our stomach! Quite obvious, right? By the time we could finish setting up the shooting space, they were gone! These insanely delicious Indian spiced roasted potatoes are crazily addictive! Beware!
Although potatoes are an integral part of our cuisine, we do not roast them very often. Roasting itself is not a common cooking technique used in Indian kitchens. We fry them, boil & mash them or make our flagship dum aloo! Now these Indian spiced roasted potatoes have also joined the league and it is going to make its appearance on our dinner table quite frequently.
These crispy and crunchy Indian spiced roasted potatoes are an experience on its own – more so because of the addictive “Indian spiced” fact! We got so addicted to these Indian spiced roasted potatoes that next day I had to make this again.
This time I had made a large batch just to ensure that we do not repeat the history and vanish the potatoes even before they get clicked! These roasted potatoes are best for potlucks as they please the crowd easily; but do make sure to carry a large batch as you know people won’t keep a count on these babies!
When it comes to roasting, I always used to prefer the meat and seafood which is why the Tandoori chicken, chicken tikkas or grilled shrimps always came in the way of making these Indian spiced roasted potatoes! But trust me, these roasted potatoes can give tough competition to the meaty counterparts with a high probability of winning.
The lovely golden potatoes have the perfect crunch to please your taste buds and have the impeccable flavor to delight your senses! Doesn’t it sound awesome? I bet it is! You will get addicted to these Indian spiced roasted potatoes from the very first time you give it a try and every bite will make you more tempted & hungrier!
These roasted potatoes are also great option to serve as a side with your grilled chicken and make an entire meal which is not only fulfilling but also satisfying to your body & soul! Give this a try and you’ll know what I’m talking about!
I used the baby potatoes to make my Indian spiced roasted potatoes which I believe is the best suited variety for making this recipe. But if you can’t get hold of baby potatoes, use any other variety and cut each into 1-inch cubes.
The best part is you don’t need to peel your potatoes for this! Isn’t that music to ears? The prep part of this roasted potato recipe is way too simple that you may start wondering if this would actually be any good. But as soon as you get that tray of Indian spiced roasted potatoes out of the oven, you will be mad at yourself for not making this before!
Imagine the combination & amalgamation of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds along with aromatics like ginger & garlic; just thinking about it is making me almost salivating! When you roast these beauties, the aroma of all these Indian spices will fill your home and may even attract your neighbors! So again, beware!
- Baby potatoes – 500 gms
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Dried whole red chili – 4
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Fresh cilantro – ½ cup, chopped
- Lemon – 1, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven at 200 C (400 F). Coat the roasting tin well with olive well.
- Wash and dry the potatoes well. Cut them into halves. You don’t need to peel them!
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the cut potatoes and toss them to give a good mix. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and add the mustard seeds, dried whole red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and stir for few seconds until fragrant.
- Next add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté the spices for about 1 minute.
- Pour this spice mix over the potatoes and toss them really well so that all pieces are coated thoroughly with the spicy oil. Arrange potatoes in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until they are tender and brown. Keep checking after every 10 minutes so that the potatoes do not get burned.
- Once done, sprinkle the chopped cilantro and drizzle with lime juice.
- Serve hot with some extra lime wedges.