Quick and easy vegetarian pasta with white sauce! Throw in some cooked meat and to satiate your non-veg cravings!
This is the quickest pasta I have ever made till date. That too with the yummy white sauce! Take my word – you will love me for this! First let me tell you the story behind making such fast forward dish. My planned vacation is coming up in next one week and I have loads of work to finish before hitting the festival time.
Obviously I had to plan for our weeknight dinner – something which I could make very fast and taste delicious at the same time! And here it is – the easiest but absolutely delicious pasta from my kitchen!
Reason # 1 – I didn’t have time to thaw the chicken from the freezer and prepare them for the pasta.
Reason # 2 – there are not many vegetarian pasta recipes in my blog.
But even if you are a meat-lover, trust me; you won’t miss anything in this dish. This creamy and cheesy pasta will win your heart for sure. Use whichever pasta you like and this recipe will be a winner all the time. I used a short pasta this time – mini fusilli – mainly because I personally like short pasta over the long ones. But white sauce goes perfectly well with any sort of pasta – spaghetti, fettuccini, tagliatelle or any other.
To keep this recipe simple, I added only few fresh basil leaves. You can easily turn this vegetarian pasta to a non-vegetarian version by just adding some cooked/poached shredded chicken. If you want your pasta to have a kick of heat, add some freshly chopped jalapenos!
So you see my point – one simple dish can take on so many make-overs to suit so many different tastes. Don’t be afraid to let your imagination fly as it can create wonders for you! All the best!
Vegetarian Pasta with White Sauce
Serves: 2 servings
- Mini fusilli – 200 gms
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- All-purpose flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 2 cups, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Basil leaves – handful, roughly torn
- Gouda cheese – 50 gms
- To make the white sauce, take a small non-stick sauce pan and melt the butter in it.
- Lower the heat and keeping the whisk in your hand ready, add the all-purpose flour to the melted butter and start stirring continuously. If you don’t whisk, the flour will burn and you will not get a perfect white sauce. So be little careful at this stage.
- After couple of minutes of whisking, add in the milk. Keep whisking continuously so that all the flour dissolves in the milk giving you a smooth sauce.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. When the sauce turns thick, remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and season generously with salt.
- Add the pasta and cook them according to the time mentioned over the packet. Mine was 6 minutes.
- Drain the water out and return the pasta in the same pot in which you boiled it.