Crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, this insanely delish popcorn chicken is a perfect crowd pleaser with both kids and adults alike!
Popcorn chicken is gaining hell lot of popularity thanks to popular fast food chains and I am not at all complaining about it! Only thing I believe is that you can make much better tasting popcorn chicken at home without any fuss whatsoever! Making popcorn chicken is so ridiculously easy that I am even hesitant to call it a recipe. But the advantage of making popcorn chicken at home is that you will have more chicken in your popcorn chicken than loads of empty crispy coating which these fast food joints fill up with at the bottom of your packet and drive me nuts! Haven’t you faced the same? I am sure you did.
Once you know this technique of making popcorn chicken at home, you will also be able to make ample number of different versions of it as per your liking, e.g. lemony popcorn chicken, Buffalo popcorn chicken, sweet & spicy popcorn chicken and many more. The sauce you serve or toss it with will make one new flavor of popcorn chicken every time so you will never have to stick to one! How cool is that? When you have so many varieties of something which is already an addictive snack, imagine how popular it will become with your friends and family when you offer them a new version every time!
Popcorn chicken is an ideal game day snack along with all other scrumptious chicken wings recipes that you will get here in my blog. Kids also love popcorn chicken immensely, hence you can keep it in your menu while hosting your kid’s birthday party! As I have already mentioned above, making popcorn chicken is as easy as boiling a pack of instant noodle with its tastemaker. You just need to prepare the standard breading station for coating your boneless chicken bites and you are sorted. My today’s version of popcorn chicken is without breadcrumbs; just eggs and all-purpose flour.
The outer coating of this popcorn chicken will look smooth as there is no breadcrumbs but will still have its crunchy deliciousness. If you use breadcrumbs for final coating, your popcorn chicken will look somewhat rough and will be crispier. Both ways, you will get some amazingly tasty popcorn chicken; so, you can choose what you like. Not using breadcrumbs means one less plate and quicker turn-around time for your popcorn chicken especially when there is a hungry bunch waiting for your scrumptious snack! Enjoy!
- Chicken breast – 2, medium
- Eggs – 2
- Refined/all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Cut the chicken breast into small popcorn size pieces. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add a pinch of salt into it. Spread the flour in a plate.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and let it be smoking hot.
- Now take one piece of chicken at a time, dip it into the beaten egg and then roll it on the flour and tip into the hot oil. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Fry 4 to 5 pieces max at a time; otherwise it would be too crowded and the temperature of the oil will drop significantly making the popcorn soggy.
- Do keep in mind that chicken breasts cook really fast and eggs make it even faster. So take them out as soon as the outer coating turns golden brown.
- Put the popcorn chicken on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.