This apple cake is one of its kind and I just fell in love with this juicy cake!
This apple cake has traveled a long way… yeah I mean literally! It covered a distance of around 2000 kilometers! Okay okay… before you wonder what I am talking about let me clarify.
Actually I baked this cake in Bangalore and packed it with my mom on her way back to Kolkata. Baking a cake at home is not at all a regular affair in my parent’s house and I, staying far away from them, can’t share the cakes which I bake at home so frequently.
I could only remember that when I was too small, my mom used to bake a cake once a year – during Christmas or my birthday which comes just 5 days after Christmas. I used to love that cake! But that happened only for few years until that electric cake pan stopped working and no one bothered to repair or replace it and microwave ovens were yet to make an appearance in our household.
I still miss that cake after so many years even though I myself have baked n number of cakes since I have discovered the joy of baking!
This cake is super scrumptious and full of flavors with the right amount of crunch due to the nuts. Like all other cakes, I have learned this one too from my baking guru Stephanie Jaworski of Joy of Baking.
The only change I made is that I have replaced walnuts with cashew nuts and the result was no less tempting. Make sure to use good quality firm apples, else your cake will be soggy. I loved the aroma of cinnamon with apple and it is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Try it and I bet you will thank me for sharing this!
Apple Cake... With Love
Serves: Makes a 9″ square cake
- Cashew nuts – ¾ cup (75 grams), chopped
- Apples – 3, large (about 500 grams)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – 1 to 2 tbsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 & ½ cup (195 grams)
- Granulated white sugar – ¾ cup (150 grams)
- Baking powder – 1 & ½ tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Unsalted butter – 6 tbsp (85 grams), melted and cooled to room temperature
- Eggs – 2, large
- Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Raisins – ⅓ cup (50 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter or spray with a non-stick cooking spray, an 8 inch (20 cm) square baking pan and then line with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Place the cashew nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and let it cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces. Toss with 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Set aside.
- Take a large bowl and combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt [Skip the salt if you are using salted butter]. Add the melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and milk and beat with a hand mixer until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chopped cashews, raisins and chopped apples.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 – 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Reheat before serving.