It’s high time to publish some vegetarian recipes for my veggie friends and fans. Though I am a hardcore non-vegetarian, I equally cherish veg food. Bengalis are only famous for eating fish more than any other region, but our vegetarian platter is equivalently rich. A typical vegetarian fare will consist of three to four types of fries, one Dal (legume), two to three gravy items, chutney and finally end with sweets including sweet curd. A vegetarian Bengali will surely not suffer from protein deficiency!
Today’s recipe of mine is not a Bengali one though. This is my mix and match to incorporate healthy ingredients together. This time I chose baby corn and tofu. Tofu may see bland to you, but when infused with correct spices, it gets the make-over really well and turns extremely delicious. Baby corns add the right amount of crunch to the dish. This recipe is exceptionally low in calories being a delight for weight-watchers.
Tofu and Baby Corn Korma
Serves: 4 Servings
- Tofu – 200 gms
- Babycorn – 7 to 8
- Onion – 2, medium
- Green cardamom – 4 to 5
- Cloves – 4 to 5
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes – 1, medium
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 to 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Boil the baby corn till they are very sort but still has a crunch in it. I pressure cooked them till two whistles. Cut the baby corns in cross-section of about half inch thickness.
- Drain the tofu and cut them into small cubes, approximately half inch cubes. Put them in boiling water under medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make a smooth paste of the onions. Chop the tomato into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a wok/skillet. Temper the oil with cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and sauté them for couple of minutes.
- Add the onion paste and ginger paste. Sauté them till they are dark brown and oil starts separating from them. Add the chopped tomato and fry till it is soft and melted.
- Add the boiled baby corn and tofu pieces. Sauté them for a while.
- Take a small bowl and make a smooth paste of turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder by adding little amount of water.
- Tip in this spice paste to the wok and sauté on high heat for couple of minutes.
- Add water, around 1 cup, sugar and salt to taste. Bring to boil. Keep in mind that both baby corn and tofu are already boiled. So the quantity of water should be as much as your desired consistency of the gravy/sauce.
- When the sauce thickens, remove from heat. Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Serve with hot rice or phulka [Inidan wheat bread].
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)