This super flavorful Indian spiced baked chicken drumsticks is my go-to no-fuss recipe which makes my hectic weekday dinner feel like a fine dining experience!
Baked chicken is my favorite of all chicken preparations and there is no two way about it. I love the succulent juicy pieces of chicken with that smoky effect – be it chicken hariyali kebab, chicken tikka or chicken tandoori – all rank high on my top 10 favorite dishes.
Today’s recipe of Indian spiced baked chicken drumsticks is another jewel to be added to your collection from mine. A very easy one pot recipe, this Indian spiced baked chicken drumsticks will transfer a hectic weeknight into a pleasure joyride for both you and your family!
When I got my first oven, my primary intention was to become an expert in making kebabs. I am not sure how far I have improved since then, but my addiction towards grilled food have increased at least 10x times, especially chicken.
That amazing aroma of the grilled meat will not let you leave your kitchen for a moment. And when you season your chicken with Indian spices, you are actually on the gastronomic heaven if there exists any such thing!
Trust me on this and make this Indian spiced baked chicken at home as soon as possible and let your family thank you for feeding them such restaurant style dish at the comfort of your home!
If you are an Indian, I am sure you already have all the spices required for creating this amazing Indian spiced baked chicken at home. Even if you are not, do not worry!
The spices I have used here are very basic to Indian cooking and if you happen to cook Indian food at home then chances are that you already have all of them handy.
The base flavor of this Indian spiced baked chicken is ginger & garlic – the classic aromatics of any Indian food.
Then you build on it by adding the seasonings like turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala etc which are all quite classic spices used in any Indian recipe.
This recipe simply appeared in my mind when I was trying my hands on baked food to become a pro and was wondering why not an Indian spiced baked chicken?
I can’t thank myself enough for coming up with such an addictive dish which will make everyone crave for more.
To make it a complete meal, throw in some halved baby potatoes with skin-on and forget about rice or roti! This Indian spiced baked chicken will be your complete one pot meal and you will be sorted for the hectic weeknights!
- Chicken legs/drumsticks – 4
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp + more for basting
- Juice of one large lemon, about ¼ cup
- Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks. Make multiple deep slashes into them and place on a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients, except the oil, to the chicken and mix well so that the leg pieces are coated with the spices thoroughly.
- Keep the chicken marinated for an hour preferably in the fridge covering up with a cling film.
- After one hour, heat a frying pan and add 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry for 5 to 8 minutes till all sides are browned.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and grease it with olive oil.
- Now take the drumsticks one at a time and arrange them on the foil-lined tray in a single layer. Baste with olive oil and bake on the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, turning them in half-way through and basting with more olive oil.
- To check if the chicken is properly cooked, insert a pointed edge of a knife to the thickest part of the drumstick. If there is no trace of pink, then the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve your delicious Indian spiced baked chicken with onion ringlets and spicy red chili sauce. Enjoy!