Professional frustrations can really put you down. After working for seven years sincerely, suddenly everything starts to seem meaningless. This happens to everyone I guess and currently it is happening with me. My mental status is in such turmoil that I can hardly concentrate on anything properly. So to calm my mind, I took solace in my kitchen which I generally do. The green, red, yellow veggies soothe my mind like childhood friends and I instantly feel at home. My brain starts to believe again that the world is free of any worries or tension and we all can live happily ever after. Alas! I wish that was true! But still my pots and pans relieve me of the apprehensions for quite some time and I play with them like a kid.
Today’s dish is a very basic stir-fry recipe as I was not happy enough to do something complicated. I used all my favorite vegetables to create this mushrooms stir-fry and I kept the sauce minimal. It would be perfect for a weeknight dinner. Yeah weekdays are not good, but weeknight dinner doesn’t have to be any less exciting!
Chinese Mushrooms Stir-Fry
Serves: 4 Servings
- Button mushrooms – 200 gms
- Green bell pepper – 1
- Yellow bell pepper – 1
- Red bell pepper – 1
- Onion – 2, large
- Garlic cloves – 5 to 6
- Fresh red chilli – 1
- Spring onions – 5 to 6
- Light soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wipe clean the mushrooms with a damp kitchen towel. Slice the mushrooms into one centimeter thick pieces.
- Cut each of the bell peppers into thick juliennes. Slice the onions finely.
- Heat the oil in a Chinese wok suitable for stir-fry. Slit the red chilli and add to the hot oil.
- Slice the garlic cloves thinly and add to the oil. Tip in the slices onions. Fry them till translucent.
- Now add the bell peppers. Sauté them on medium to high heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle some salt in it which will make the mushrooms sweat. Keep stirring.
- Now add the light soy sauce and more salt as required to taste. Sauté till the mushrooms are soft.
- Fry on high heat till all the moisture is absorbed.
- Chop the spring onions into long strips and add to the wok. Mix well.
- Serve hot on the sides with noodles or fried rice.