Chicken and basil make unforgettable combination and create an absolutely awesome experience all together!
This post was long, long due. This is about that much awaited baking class that me and four of my friends attended on a weekend. It was real fun I must say. I am not sure how much new techniques I learned that day, but all in all I had a relaxing time with friends and enjoyed baking together. Though the instructor got an impression that I am the worst of the lot as I was being too lazy to knead my bread dough properly, I didn’t mind at all! I was late for the class and everyone had to wait for me, but the reason for being late was definitely not my laziness. The main culprit was this ‘Basil Chicken’, which took more time to cook than what I anticipated! What could I do? I couldn’t feed my friends half-cooked chicken, can I? So I hope I was forgiven for my delay when I saw them enjoying the dish!
Well, now about the baking class – we baked spinach bread, choco cookies, chocolate cake and few things more which are not worth mentioning. But more than my learning, I was interested in taking sneak peeks on the various custom made cakes which the pro-bakers were decorating. Those were amazing!
Baking is one thing which takes a lot of time, patience and practice. It’s really difficult to become a perfect baker from day 1. But it surely gives me a lot of pleasure. My better half’s birthday is round the corner; so I will have some extensive baking time coming soon!
But for now, let me share my basil chicken recipe. It was yum and best served as a starter or appetizer.
Stir-fried Chicken with Chillies and Basil
Serves: 6 servings
- Chicken – 600 gms [I used two chicken breasts]
- Fresh red chillies – 6 [if you don’t have fresh red chillies at hand, replace with 4 dried red chillies]
- Fresh basil leaves – 40
- Cornflour – 2 & ½ tbsp
- Egg – 1, beaten
- White pepper powder – ¼ th tsp
- Garlic cloves – 6, sliced
- Fish sauce – 2 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce – 3 tsp [make sure you are using ‘dark’ soy sauce for this as light one won’t give you the same result]
- Sugar – 1 & ½ tsp
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Slice four fresh red chillies, deseed and chop. Slice the remaining two and keep aside.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Add cornflour, egg, salt and white pepper powder to the chicken strips and mix well.
- Heat two tbsp oil in a wok and sauté 30 fresh basil leaves till crisp [do not burn!] Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil in the same wok and stir fry the marinated chicken strips until crisp and almost done. Drain and set aside.
- To the same oil, add sliced garlic and four chopped red chillies. Stir fry for couple of minutes or until golden brown.
- Now add fried chicken strips, fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Stir fry on high heat for three to four minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the remaining fresh basil and mix.
- Transfer to a serving plate and spread the fried basil leaves on top.
- Garnish with the sliced red chillies and serve hot!