This vibrant green spinach soup is the best bet when it comes to combine health and taste together in the same recipe!
I was feeling quite down today. Something was wrong with me since past few days – I was feeling low and nothing was uplifting my mood. Generally cooking works as a stress-buster for me, but I was actually not stressed, I was depressed and I was not sure ‘why’, which was far more disturbing. Anyways, I tried hard to overcome this phase of ‘mood-off’ and tried to concentrate on television. But alas! It hardly helped. So, what else? I decided to forget about my depressed mood and thought of feeding myself something healthy. I had heard somewhere that healthy food has the power of uplifting our mood, but oh-no… I am again thinking about my mood! Let me stop thinking and go straight to the recipe.
I had read this recipe long back in some book but never thought of giving it a try as I always had a doubt on my mind on how a spinach soup would taste after all the effort. But my god! How wrong I was! Besides being a powerhouse of nutrition, this soup also tastes absolutely awesome and there is no two-way about it! And believe me or not, after having this, I was really feeling good and energetic which made me feel happy! Oh finally!!
Super Healthy Spinach Soup
Serves: 2 Servings
- Spinach leaves – 4 to 5 bunches
- Garlic cloves – 5, crushed
- Onion – 1, medium
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black peppercorn – 3 to 4
- Milk – ½ cup
- Vegetable stock or water – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder – a pinch
- Wash the spinach leave thoroughly and chop them roughly.
- Fine chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok.
- Add the crushed garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Tip in the chopped onions and saute till they turn brown.
- Add the chopped spinach leaves and saute it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt to taste – approximately 1 tsp.
- Now add the stock or water and bring it to boil. Boil it for 2 minutes.
- Now you have to blend the soup. If you have a hand blender, then you can blend the soup directly in the cooking pan. If not, do not worry. Transfer the spinach mixture to a mixer jar and blend it thoroughly using your mixer grinder. Voila!
- Transfer the soup back to the cooking pan [If you are using hand blender, then you have to obviously skip this step as your soup is still in the cooking pan itself! :)]
- Bring the soup to boil and add milk. Stir well.
- Do not boil the soup too much as it thickens gradually once removed from heat.
- Add white pepper powder and serve garnished with croutons!