This Indian spiced grilled mackerel is infused with all the goodness of Indian flavors and grilled to perfection for that ultimate seafood experience!
Today’s recipe of grilled mackerel is a very quick and easy fix for weeknight dinner but is very high on flavor and taste in spite of being a ridiculously easy recipe. If you have already tried your hands-on grilling fish and seafood, you may already be aware that grilled fish is really the best option for a tasty meal when you are too pressed for time. Same goes with my grilled mackerel. I had couple of mackerel lying in my freezer and I had no intention to go at length of making a curry; hence this wonderful grilled mackerel materialized! I am trying to upscale my grilling game and this grilled mackerel gave me immense confidence of churning out grilled goodies as I like.
Mackerel is a newly discovered fish which I was not familiar with before mainly because it is a sea fish and the region I was brought up in is majorly dominated by river or fresh water fish. Since the time I am living in Southern part of India, I am being introduced to new array of seafood every now and then, mackerel being one of those great discoveries. Mackerel is a great choice for grilling and your grilled mackerel will always result in a delicious success, that’s a guarantee from me! Try this grilled mackerel recipe and you will know why!
You may be familiar with grilled salmon but I suggest you to try this grilled mackerel for a change and you won’t regret. The meaty mackerel absorbs the flavors of Indian spices beautifully and quickly transforms itself to a very tasty dish which is great for a busy weeknight. If you are rice lovers like us, you can serve your grilled mackerel with some rice tossed in garlic oil which will complement the smokiness of the grilled mackerel perfectly. As an alternative to rice, this grilled mackerel can also be nicely paired with mashed potatoes flavored with some chives or some creamy potato salad. There can be endless combinations with this scrumptious grilled mackerel each one being better than the other – take your pick!
- Whole Mackerel – 4 (or you can use 8 Mackerel fillets)
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp, crushed
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp, crushed
- Cayenne pepper – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Lemons – 2, juice of 1 and the other cut into wedges to serve
- Mix together the crushed cumin and coriander.
- Mix cayenne pepper and turmeric with the lemon juice and add it to the cumin and coriander mixture. Season with salt to taste.
- Make diagonal slashes on the skin of the mackerel using a sharp knife to have a nice cut!
- Rub the spice mix all over the mackerel. Leave them for 20 minutes for the flavors of the spices to absorb.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 C / 400 F. Broil/grill the whole mackerel placing them at the top most shelf of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes each side or until the meat softens and gets charred. (If using fillet, then grill them keeping skin side up for 7-8 minutes.)
- Check the fish using a fork if cooked thoroughly, if not put it back in the oven for couple of minutes more. Serve your grilled mackerel with lemon wedges!