Prawns served with the best of Asian flavors! This prawn massaman curry blends in all the aroma of Oriental cuisine perfectly with the seafood!
Prawns are my favorite among sea foods. You can give it to me in any form and I will love them! But this curry is a really special one because I fell in love with this at the very first time. The aroma is so magical, trust me!
I was hating to do all the cleaning work of prawns which is required when you don’t buy the frozen ones. I prefer the fresh ones over the packaged, but this pre-preparation work seems to be enough to kill you! But anyways, I somehow survived it with the help of some soothing music and the ongoing cookery shows which was playing silently on my TV. Do you also love to watch such shows? Oh I love them! But let me not get carried away now and proceed with the recipe. Hope you’ll also love them like I did!
Prawn Massaman Curry
Serves: 4 Servings
- Medium or Jumbo prawns – 500 gms
- Masamman curry paste – 2 tbsp (I used ready-made paste bought from store)
- Coconut milk – 2 cup (if using thin milk, for thick milk, use 1 cup)
- Green cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Baby potatoes – 10 to 12
- Lemon – 2
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Peanuts – a handful to garnish (optional)
- Basil leaves – 4 to 5 to garnish
- Salt – if required
- Sauté the masamman curry paste with few tablespoons of coconut milk till it is fragrant.
- Now add the rest of the coconut milk and cook for 5 mins.
- Half the baby potatoes and add them to the coconut and curry paste mixture.
- Cook on low heat till the potatoes are almost done.
- Add the green cardamom pods and cinnamon stick.
- Add brown sugar.
- Be careful while adding salt. The readymade curry paste which I was using already had quite a bit of salt in it. Adding more would have spoiled the dish! So I recommend to taste your gravy before adding any bit of salt.
- Add the prawns. If you are not using the frozen prawns, then clean and de-vein them first (like I did).
- Cook on low heat until the prawns are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add juice of one lemon.
- Garnish with toasted and chopped peanuts, if using and basil leaves.
- Serve with the remaining lemon cut in wedges.