This tangy green mango salad with a kick of heat is the perfect summer cooler to beat the tropical heat. Serve it with your favorite meat or snack it on its own!
No matter how unbearably hot Indian summer is, I eagerly wait for this season only because of its primary attraction which is none other than mangoes! Raw or ripe, this stuff is to die for! If you are not Asian, I am not sure how well familiar you are with this fruit; but for us mango is the king of fruit and it rightfully deserves all the love and attention it gets. Today I am sharing a tangy green mango salad recipe which has the perfect balance of tartness thanks to the raw mango and a kick of heat imparted from red chillies. The tartness of green mangoes helps to cool down our body to let us adjust better with the high heat of summer. If you think deeply, nature has uncountable things to offer us so that we can adapt to the drastic yet expected climatic changes smoothly; but it’s solely upon us to bestow the respect that our mother nature deserves; else it can become dangerous!
With that anecdote, let me come back to today’s recipe of green mango salad. There are various types of green mangoes available in the market; some are more sour than other and some have a mix of sweet and sour taste. You can use any type of raw mango for making this green mango salad. Raw mangoes can feel quite sharp to taste if eaten on its own; hence this tangy & spicy green mango salad is perfect to give that sharp mangoes a balanced makeover of flavors. This green mango salad will be a perfect side for your spicy grilled chicken; just make sure to make it an hour ahead and let it chill so that the flavors mingle with each other and build up to its ideal awesomeness! Enjoy!
- Raw green mango – 1
- Head of lettuce – 1
- Fresh red chilli – 1
- Onion – 1 small or ½ of a medium one
- Lemon juice –2 tbsp
- Light soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the mango. Cut the flesh in long strips.
- Soak the mango pieces in ice-cold water for 10 minutes to retain its crunch.
- Line a salad bowl with lettuce leaves.
- Chop the red chilli, onions [you can substitute onion with 2 shallots] finely.
- In a bowl, combine red chilli, chopped onion, lemon juice and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Drain the mango pieces and squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Mix the mango with the dressing and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Add salt to taste and toss well.
- Serve the green mango salad immediately on the bowl lined with lettuce leaves.